One hundred years ago next November 2009, in celebration of the Mayoralty of Ernest Arthur Ebblewhite Esq., the Corporation of London presented the then Borough of Hornsey with a fountain for the recently established Pleasure Grounds on Middle Lane, N8. Over the years, more land was added to these Pleasure Grounds and the entire area was renamed Priory Park. Sited at the top of the slope, the fountain forms the focal point of the ornamental gardens.
This is not just any old fountain, this is 50 tons of speckled grey Cornish Lamorna granite, which was originally placed in the churchyard of St Paulís Cathedral in 1880. It has a four foot high and 20 foot diameter basin, with a carved two foot high City of London coat of arms, a 10 foot high central column supporting a smaller basin and the whole topped with a granite vase.
Although originally it was a working fountain, it is now used as a giant planter so, to celebrate its centenary, the Friends of Priory Park and Haringey Parks Department are working together on a new planting scheme which will be put in place before the anniversary.